Hurricanes and heavy rains can indeed bring flooding. Another cause would be plumbing system issues. Problematic pipes could imply obstructed drain pipes and overflowing toilets. Whether in detached homes or multi-story structures, flooding can take place.
Filthy water can increase the transmission of water-borne diseases. These diseases are from infected human and animal wastes and can get into the body in various ways.
Diseases From the Water
Contaminants carried by water can leak through anything permeable, such as building materials like wood or concrete, or might infiltrate the soil. These can even more affect the water system and vegetation.
Ingestion and Contact
Flood waters can bring bacteria and viruses from animal or human feces and can come into contact with drinking water or food supply. Direct contact with flood waters can likewise cause these to penetrate the skin through scratches or open injuries. The most common illnesses are the following.
- Typhoid Fever – This can be serious if not treated. The signs are stomach discomfort, constipation, diarrhea, prolonged fever, nausea, and headaches.
- Cholera – Watery diarrhea is the major symptom of cholera and may cause dehydration and could also be deadly.
- Hepatitis A – It is an extremely contagious liver illness that can cause loss of appetite, diarrhea, nausea, dark-colored urine, and jaundice. In many cases, this can trigger liver function to stop.
- Leptospirosis – This is caused by bacteria from animals, most especially rodents. Infected urine can mix with water or soil and can get into the body through the skin, genitals, nose, or mouth. Signs are similar to hepatitis A, but more severe infections can trigger kidney failure, meningitis, and other extreme complications.
Mosquito-Borne Viral Infections
Mosquitoes need water to reproduce, and whatever water remains from floods is the ideal place for eggs to be laid. Mosquito bites can transfer viruses to human beings. Such are:
- Malaria – This manifests with flu-like symptoms and body aches. Severe cases can cause seizures, coma, and death.
- Dengue Fever – High fever, eye pain, and rashes are the first symptoms of this viral infection. If not dealt with early, this may trigger internal hemorrhaging and can be deadly.
If water damage or any dampness stays after flooding, mold is unavoidable. These come from air-borne spores and will thrive on any surface. Direct exposure to toxic mold can cause moderate to serious medical concerns. Individuals who have allergic reactions and those who are immuno-compromised are easy candidates.
Some moderate signs may be the following:
- runny nose and congestion
- eye irritation
- skin rashes
Molds can produce mycotoxins– hazardous substances that can get into the brain. If this takes place, it will cause memory loss and metabolism problems and induce brain inflammation.
What to Do in Case of Flooding
Standing water and water damage must be dealt with to prevent health problems. For water removal information, see here.
Use Protective Clothes
After an instance of flooding, do not enter the damaged area without protective clothes such as rubber boots, gloves, etc.
Keep Away From the Danger
If possible, do not attempt to clean up. If there is extreme damage due to flooding, some locations might be too weak to walk or stand on. Mosquitoes may be present, or mishaps may injure you, making you vulnerable to illness.
Call in a Professional Remediation Company
The best possible way to fix the water damage problem is to get in touch with professionals. They have the right equipment, and they move fast and thoroughly. Click here to see more.
Removing the Water Damage
Remediation professionals can turn a place inside out and replace any parts of a structure that are no longer of any use. They have devices that can eliminate any standing water and make use of fans and blow dryers to remove any remaining moisture.
The remediation companies use effective cleaning agents to eliminate all impurities, eliminating bacteria and viruses. While subjected to fans and dryers, they likewise utilize HEPA (high-efficiency particulate air) filters for clearing the air. Mold spores are prevented from adhering to surfaces and increasing when cleaning and moisture removal is successful. Check here for mold remediation in Wayne.
Wrapping It Up
Occurrences like flooding ought to be taken seriously and handled instantly. To prevent additional damage and unfortunate health and safety concerns, ask remediation specialists to assess the situation. They will be able to give proper guidance on what should be done, whether cleaning is sufficient or if reconstruction is necessary.